Old 28-06-2003, 06:44 AM
Valkyrie

Default Vinegar/water weed killing solution?

Vinegar is a poor herbicide, it needs to be the high percentage, 20%, and
then needs to be used full strength while the plant is in full sun and then
said plant will wilt and get all brown and grungy and die
(sometimes)...........then they will all be back in a few weeks and you can
do this process all over again and again and AGAIN. Torch 'em, dig 'em up or
spritz 'em with Round-Up if this is not against your delicate
sensibilities. Get a big old screw driver and dig them out and if you really
have a problem with them re appearing sprinkle some preemergence stuff in
the cracks or just keep digging them out. I had a flag stone patio and used
Round-up, I had that little 12oz. bottle for about 3 years. On a sunny day
I'd just give the weed a little tiny spritz and that was it. OR you could do
like my neighbor did with his brick driveway.......just mix up weed killer
in a 3 gallon sprayer and saturate the ENTIRE bricked area, after all more
is always better in some people's book, and then he had dead grass foot
prints from him walking over the drive and then onto his grass, and also
doggy prints and kid prints... looked like an Arthur Murray dance floor for
Merange` lessons..the run off also killed everything within a two foot
radius of the driveway...it'll give the rest of the neighborhood something
to chuckle about for years!

Val

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 13:33:06 -0400, Chelsea Christenson
wrote:

My master gardener suggested a solution of vinegar and water for
killing the weeds that come up between the bricks in my patio.
Unfortunately, she's on vacation now, so I can't ask her: what is the
correct ratio of vinegar to water?

I used vinegar full strength on weeds growing out of the driveway
cracks. It did not work worth a damn. The propane torch worked,
though.