Old 28-06-2003, 08:20 AM
Joanne

Default Miracle Grow vs. Organic

Noydb wrote in message ...

Snip

Adding organic material is the act of someone thinking years in advance.
Adding chemical fertilizers is the act of someone thinking only of a single
season.

I would like to add my own experience to this. I helped create and
tend a huge perennial garden which had the dryest, deadest soil I ever
saw! No living matter resided in it and only the weeds thrived. For
several years we added compost and nutrients with only minimal
improvements. Last fall, in desperation, we dug fallen leaves, crushed
egg shells and banana peels directly into a section of the soil. That
section now has lots of worms wiggling about (previously none) and the
new plants seem to be surviving for a change.

My point is only that it may not take years to build up the soil
organicly. Research is needed and planning too, but it can happen
within a year. We chose items which, by nature, break down easily for
quick results. We still add compost too, but I can guarantee that this
fall we will expand upon our efforts to do even more direct composting
in the soil.

jcm
Toronto, Ontario
Canadian zone 5b, don't know my U.S. zone equivilant.
Thanks to global warming it's bloody hot here though!