Old 28-06-2003, 01:20 PM
Pat Meadows

Default Miracle Grow vs. Organic

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 12:12:33 GMT, Frogleg
wrote:

I agree with nearly all of what you said. I *adore* (and brew)
compost, and know that while Miracle-Gro may supply basic nutrients,
fertilizer is far from the be-all, end-all of growing plants, generous
soil, and a proper lifestyle. :-) My quarrel is with a "no chemical"
philosophy, and a generalized vilification of everything that comes in
a bottle, box, or plastic bag. Suppose I recommended acetic acid for
weed control: flags would go up; perhaps comments that "organic
methods are superior." Of course, acetic acid is vinegar, which is
often suggested as an "organic" alternative to "chemical poison"
weedkillers. I don't understand why there has to be a such a
confrontational attitude between The Organics and The Really Bad
People. We've got possters wondering if they're completely beyond the
pale for using a little Miracle-Gro solution on their houseplants! One
person suggested *anyone* could keep a bucket of manure tea around,
even in a high-rise apt. I beg to differ.

I must have missed that post - it seems to me as if you're
tilting at windmills here. ?

For myself, I know what acetic acid is.

I've not seen any foolishly slavish adherence to organic
methods pushed on rec.gardens.edible. But maybe I've missed
something.

I certainly wouldn't recommend that a person keep a bucket
of manure tea in an apartment! Wow. That *is* silly.
Maybe that post was before I was reading r.g.e. ?

Pat