Old 28-06-2003, 01:56 PM
Steve Noel

Default Grey Heron came for breakfast

I have learned so much from this group over the last couple of years I
thought I would share my solution for herons. After losing nine
of my best gold fish and three tame frogs to a *#@(^ heron I
connected a motion detector to a 24 volt fire alarm strobe light using
a 24 volt transformer and set the motion detector on "TEST" so it will
work day or night.
I also got some 1/2 inch PVC pipe and strung a fishing wire on it like
a bow but with two strings (ll . I lay these across my 8ft. wide pond
as a tripping device that we all know about. I can easily remove these
when people come over or I am outside and don`t want to look at all
that.
The bows were just an extra till I was sure the strobe would work. Its
been a month and NO MISSING FISH. The sudden flash of a strobe should
be too much for the boldest of critters. Also if someone is going to
make one of these you must use a rectifier between the transformer and
the strobe to change the AC power to DC. You can get one for about a
buck at Radio Shack. Try ebay for the fire alarm strobe. Hope this helps
!!
Steve