Old 28-06-2003, 04:32 PM
Salty Thumb

Default Vinegar/water weed killing solution?

Tsu Dho Nimh wrote in
:

"David J Bockman" wrote:

Actually, a spritz of pure white, undiluted vinegar will work on many
(but not all) broad leaved weeds. It works best in full sun, and
again, if the weed's leaves do not have a large surface area you might
not kill it.

Straight, fresh whgite vinegar doesn't work worth a darn on my
weeds (bermuda, spotted spurge, sow thistle, etc.) They change
color, but just to a darker healthier green.

And we have strong full sun. 112 degrees yessterday.

I'm not surprised. I doubt minor applications of plain grocery store
vinegar will work on acidophilic plants, plants with waxy leaves, plants
with deep root systems and just plain ornery plants. That's just my
conjecture based on my faint understanding of the mechanisms involved. I
don't have any formal training in botany or chemistry.

If you consider a weed to be an undesirable plant (and not just the
species that are called weeds regardless of where they are situated) then
I say application of household vinegar is worth a try, especially if you
are concerned about the *possible* side effects of the alternatives.

My experience is that it works well for wuss weeds like the kind that
crop up in patio or driveway cracks. After the plant has been dry and
brown for a sufficient number of days, yank out the carcass and backfill
the cavity (so no new homeless weed seeds wander in and take up residence
and also to make it harder for any leftover root to push it's way back up
into the light). Yes, you can dig or try to yank it out without
spraying. Does that have the same efficacy? I don't know. But if
spraying works, you get the sadistic joy of knowing you've made the plant
suffer dearly for its temerity. Mwuahahahhahahahahahaha

If you are looking for a persistent herbicide to spray and forget,
vinegar is probably not for you.

- Salty