Old 06-03-2003, 07:15 AM
Frog Dan

Default Elephant Ears

Hi, I grew two of the Elephant ears last summer in 10 gallon tubs with no
problem. I would say, if I remember right, the pointy end should face up.
The squared off end probaby is the top. I saved one of the bulbs and had to
cut off the stem of leaves which left a flat squared off end. If you let it
die off slowely, I would guess there would be a point end. Live in Michigan,
so the cold weather came on pretty fast last fall. Brought the tubs into the
garage but was afraid they would freeze - SO...CHOP I went and then dug up
the bulb up to store it in the basement. There roots will fill any
container you plant them in and will be larger ( 6 to 9 feet tall and wide)
when allowed to grow in large tubs. I had grown one in a 2 gallon pot all
summer a few years ago............ never got taller than 2 feet. They are
very tropical looking and sure add interest to a small back patio garden
area I have.

Good Luck,
Dan

"TakeThisOut" wrote in message
Make sure you WANT THEM. They have a tendency to take off and encroach
where you don't want them. Would suggest a pot for each.

Oh yes, I want them allright - they look like a fun plant and I have a LOT

of
garden to fill this year after killin off a large patch of lawn I felt was
useless.

I could definately plant them inside pots and bury the pots as well. The

area
is very fertile as I regraded it and dumped a lot of my compost there and

added
bagged manure and topsoil in the fall.

It gets sun in the morning and shade from about 11am-2pm then sun again

until
it sinks below a 6' stockade fence.

Water no problem as well.

So how about it? Which end is up? If I have to I'll put them all in a pot

of
soil and water until they've sprouted enough for me to tell.

TakeThisOut wrote:
I just picked up 6 Elephant Ears bulbs (tubers?) They're as big as

cantelopes.
According to the package, I can plant them indoors now (4-6 weeks

before
the
outdoor growing season begins) I have 6 huge 10 gallon post and the

rich
soil
mix ready to go, but 1 problem... I can't tell which way the bulb is

"up".
These bulbs are very clean and dirt-free and have no root or old stem

remanents
on it.

On each bulb, one end appears to have been cut cleanly with a knife as

it's
kind of squared off so the bulb will sit on a flat surface. And all

over
the
opposite side of the sphere there seem to be round discolorations of

varying
diameters, so I figure the squared off end is the root, and the other

end
is
the stems. Correct?

I Did a google search on these and there have been lots of posts on

this
board
regarding elephant ears, but not this issue.

TIA

Now - 52 degrees and raining in Long Island NY
Tomorrow - 31 and snow 2-4"

.
.
.