Old 28-06-2003, 06:08 PM
Warren

Default Vinegar/water weed killing solution? NOT!

Salty Thumb wrote:
animaux wrote:

I don't know what the "correct" concentration is, but you might want
to start with 1 tablespoon vinegar to 1 quart water. (I could be way
off).

You are way off. Why make the suggestion without knowing anything
about it? So, if this person asked how to use orthene, you'd make a
recommendation without knowing the correct concentration? Sorry if

sound ****y, but gee wiz, why make any recommendation.

Let's see, first Meteor-man responds saying it will not work at all.
Second, I say it will. This is why I bothered to make a

recommendation.
Third, if nobody else chimes in (although I anticipated someone

would), I
have given a starting point and a disclaimer. Fourth, there two ways

kill a plant. You can 1) completely destroy it or 2) gradually and
repeatedly injure it until it exhausts it's ability to repair itself.

Let's see. Household vinegar is only about 4% acid. Now you're going to
take 1 tablespoon, and put it in a quart of water. That will dilute it
down to about 0.05%. My spit has a higher acid concentration! By the
time I "gradually and repeatedly injure" a weed that way, it'll have set
seed. It won't even think I'm injuring it. It'll think I'm watering it!

You were way off. Period. My guess is that you are unaware that
household vinegar is already diluted down to about 4%, and you were
thinking of adding 1 tablespoon of acid to a quart of water. But it sure
won't do any good to put a tablespoon of vinegar into a quart of water!

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.