Old 28-06-2003, 06:08 PM
Unique Too

Default Dying Canes and Fungicide

"Theo Asir" writes:

I know of atleast 2 varieties
of canker on my roses.

The tip variety is relatively harmless.
Just cut back to clean cane.

I see some of that, but not a lot. Unless there's one of the purple spotted
canes below it.

The other one I've seen occassionally
causes black/purple spots with a whitish
raised ridge around it.

This causes loses of entire canes for me.
I've only seen it a couple of times.
I'm not sure what variety it is. I didn't mess
around with fungicides but rather cut the
entire cane away. Ouch!

No white ridges here, from purple spots on green canes to purple spots on
yellow canes to dead. I've been cutting them off as fast as I see them. But
it doesn't do much good when it just starts on another cane. Oh yea, I
sanitize the pruners between cuts.
It is painful, more than one rose is down to a single healthy cane. At least
the worst offenders are the HTs and they aren't my favs. When/if it starts on
some of my old roses I'll really by POed.

Julie