Old 28-06-2003, 07:56 PM
Jim W

Default What happened to all the fungicides?

Charlie Pridham wrote:

"Amber" wrote in message

Anything specific in mind??

densley packed plants with mildew - lemon balm and something that for the
minute escapes me to name. Also black spot on a climbing ros thats nr
rosemary.

Wouldn't it be simpler to alter the way you grow stuff and/or not grow the
worst effected plants at all? I can't remember when the last time I used a
fungicide in the garden was, I do use something for botrytis in my
propagating house, so I am not anti chemicals just can't ever seem to get
around to spray in the garden :~)

LOL I think I said something similar back earlier in the thread.. I
also noted the 'densley packed' Ideal for mildew.. I believe both
milk and bicarb of soda have negative effects on mildew. Is it powdery
or downy? Likley to be the former I think.

Blackspot on roses.. Take of and dispose of affected leaves when seen..
Don't leave any clippings lying around.. Spray with a suitable winter
wash out of season. Even a comfrey/nettle mixture can do good when
combined with physical control. Its not approved/licenced but its not
'controlled' either.. Something thats been covered a while back.

Botrytis is another beast all together but again can be reduced by good
conditions and cleanliness to start with.. Not that I'm saying I'm a
saint with either in the garden.. As guilty as the next person;-))))

//
Jim