Old 28-06-2003, 08:44 PM
Lorenzo L. Love

Default Basil flowering

Pat Meadows wrote:
On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 02:54:09 -0800, (Jan
Flora) wrote:

Isn't anything much better than that, is there? We've got
the basil but not the tomatoes yet...only little ones on the
miniature Red Robin plants.

Pat

Ick. Do your Red Robins taste okay? I've never eaten one I liked.

Both DH and I think they are LOVELY, very good taste.
Hmmmm...maybe this is a personal taste difference.

We've been eating Tumblers for a couple of weeks now, from the kitchen-
window plant. The 'maters have good taste. Not as good as Sweet 100's
and they're bigger (golf ball size), but a damned sight better than the little
red ball bearings that the grocery store sells for $3/lb.

How big do the Tumblers get?

[snip]

I used to grow both Tumblers and Red Robins. I quit growing Tumblers
because they were so subject to wilt diseases. The Tumblers were a
little sweeter then the Red Robins and for a lot of people that is the
determining factor. The comment about Sweet 100's makes me think that is
the case for the Red Robin disliker above. For me, the more tomatoey
favor of Red Robins is superior for most uses.

The Tumbler fruit is a bit smaller then Red Robins.

Lorenzo L. Love
http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

"We recognize, however dimly, that greater efficiency, ease, and
security may come at a substantial price in freedom, that law and order
can be a doublethink version of oppression, that individual liberties
surrendered for whatever good reason are freedom lost."
Walter Cronkite, in the preface to the 1984 edition of 1984