Old 28-06-2003, 10:25 PM
Sarah Dale

Default Local Council subsidised compost bin, any good?

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 20:05:25 +0000, Sam wrote:

Hi Sam,

My only problem is flies in the bin can be a nuisance. Any
suggestions? And I often see slugs in there too - or is this not
really a problem until I come to put the stuff in the garden. Or
should I be greatful that they are munching my compost matter and not
my plants?

Your heap is probably a bit on the dry side if you are suffering from
flies in it. Just water it with a hose / watering can every now and again.
You can also put in coffee/tea/squash/wine/bear/etc. dregs. The water from
boiling veg or pasta could also be added. All sources of extra / different
nutrients, and wet!

Personally, I don't worry about slugs in the compost heap - theres too
many other places I need to worry about them being in!

My husband thinks its a little sad that I get so enthused about my
compost bin, but this is the first time I've done this and its great!
We have a great recycling schem here too, and I love to see our
rubbish bag shrink each week as I realise that there's soething else I
can recycle or compost.

Hey, you're not sad - just doing your bit to try and save the planet. I
recycle as much as I can, and yes its a bit of a chore, but the upside is
that I only put my bin out about once a month (which confuses the hell out
of the dustmen!). I was very pleased to read that you were composting food
waste from your place of work. That is above and beyond the normal call of
duty!

Regards, and happy composting,

Sarah

(P.S. The fact you have only got a 1/2 full bin after all this time, is a
sign that what you have put in has been composted!)