Old 29-06-2003, 04:56 AM
Garden Envy

Default Will my mums flower again?

"Adam Schwartz" wrote in message news:kplLa.43181$R73.6612@sccrnsc04...
Early in the season (mid May) I lost all of the flowers on my mums.
Can I expect it to flower again?

Thanks,
Adam (Iowa City)

Here in the Midwest mums actually will bloom twice in a season. Since
they are short-day plants (actually, they require long nights to
bloom), they bloom in the spring and in the fall. A good rule of
thumb is to cut them back to within a couple inches of the ground
(REALLY! I do it every year!) around the 4th of July. This is an easy
date to remember around the summer solstice when the nights start
getting longer. Your mums will be florist-quality by September!

Happy Gardening,
Matt Weld
garden-envy.com :: Newsletter, tip-sheets, and more