Old 29-06-2003, 05:08 AM
Garden Envy

Default Deadheading roses?

"Tono wrote in message ...
I have a Caribbean (Korbirac) What do I do with it now? How low do I cut below the old bloom, or
above the main trunk that stem came from?
zone 6a

Thanks,
Tono"

Tono,

The best way to prune roses is to look at the leaves. Each rose leaf
has anywhere from 3 to 7 leaflets (most mature Tea leaves have 5).
Counting from the spent flower, find the second mature leaf and cut at
an angle above it. This ensures that the stem that's left is strong
enough to support the new growth. You can prune farther down the stem
than that, especially if you want to make sure that the new growth is
growing away from the center of the plant (recommended). Within a
week or so, you should see new growth, and in 5 or 6 weeks, you should
see new blossoms.

Happy Gardening,

Matt Weld
garden-envy.com :: Free Newsletter, Tip-sheets, e-courses, online
support.