Old 29-06-2003, 06:24 AM
Sherwin Dubren

Default What to do with a skunk in a live trap?

Hi Salty,
It's really too late now, but here is an idea which might help.
Squirrels
are not active at night, so simply close your traps at sunset. The
skunks are
however night creatures. We make a habit of leaning a large board
against one side
of the trap. It's main purpose is to keep nosy people from seeing what
you are doing.
It was of use to us last time we inadvertently caught a skunk. By
creeping up behind
the board slowly and reaching, again slowly, around the board to open
the trap, we were
able to release it, without being skunked. It's best to do this in the
daytime, when
the skunks are mostly half asleep. After we opened the trap, it took
several hours before
the skunk exited, mainly because it was disoriented and groggy. If you
are going for
coons, you have to take your chances with a nighttime trapping.

Sherwin Dubren

Salty Thumb wrote:

H Hornblower wrote in newsehsfvove7kak5nktdflaaonjvjt82nve8@
4ax.com:

I have disposed of a couple of nocturnal coons with a big
Havahart trap. I live in the city , but by a railroad track with a
variety of wildlife. I'd never thought about what I'd do if I caught a
skunk in the thing until I saw one in the yard one morning. What a
mess that could be.

If you live in a city or suburb, call your city's animal control to see if
they will pick one up. If not, either put up signs by the trap saying
"Absolutely no skunks allowed" or practice opening the trap with a ten foot
pole.

-- Salty