Old 29-06-2003, 08:41 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default Lotus

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:

To my surprise the container with the runner put up a bud, funny thing is,
I do not have any aerial leaves, all pads are on the water surface. Is that
normal?

I've seen newly divided, i.e. young lotus put up only floating leaves at
first. The more unusual thing is having a bud at all the first season.
Don't forget that lotus, like myself, is a heavy feeder.
Gary Woods Zone 5/6 in upstate New York, 1200' elevation. NY WO G

Perhaps the wacky water problem in my Lily Pond and what I did to alleviate
it, caused the strange behavior of my lotus? You see I have cement blocks
around my lily pond (formal type) if you haven't seen my website. I thought
after 3 years those blocks would be well leached, but when things didn't
grow well at first I checked the pH and it was well above 9.0. So then I
began this game of add acid to lower pH, add baking soda to reclaim buffer
lost to acid, etc. Because I wanted to help the lotus along I would put a
diluted cup of acid directly over the pot. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a