Old 29-06-2003, 10:56 AM
Andrew G

Default Lawn Topdressing

"jpd1009" wrote in message
u...
andrew,
Thanks for sharing this info, I am up for doing this soon...
You talked about the time to do it and referred to buffalo.

i.e. "I would have said to wait 'till the end of Winter, say end of July
even, as you will get better/quicker results. Reason being if the lawn
is anything other than Buffalo, it will be pretty much dormant."

Any other info to share wrt top dressing buffalo? My new baffalo lawn is
9 months old and has settled and is need of some fine tuning (level

wise).

Glad I could be of some help.
To be totally honest I don't have much experience with Buffalo other than
that I know broadleaf killers sprays or "weed and feed" products aren't the
best to use on them. Some can be used at weaker rates or less applications,
but check the directions.
So in other words one thing you want to avoid is weeds. So if you do want to
topdress for level purposes it is probably best to wait to the start of
Spring, or when the lawn starts to vigorously grow. Reason being is that if
some areas are quite low, then whatever you choose to topdress with may have
to go on thick in those areas. You will have to wait for the grass to come
up, and in the meantime weeds could grow there. So keeping a check and hand
weeding would be a good idea.
If you are going to put it on a bit thick, perhaps lower the amount of chook
poo by a bit. You can use a lawn leveler to spread the topdress mix, or an
old style window frame (e.g like those that had 4 panes or more of glass,
divided by wood) dragged around does a good job too. Even make one.
In the future as the "matting" of the lawn thickens up you may want to
dethatch it. You could hire a machine, or if you are feeling up to it, use a
spade and about every foot or 2 push into the lawn to cut the runners. This
is much like pruning the grass to encourage new growth from runners. This is
done with any grass that has runners.

Hope that helps a little

--
Remove "not" from start of email address to reply

thanks

-james