Old 29-06-2003, 04:32 PM
jpd1009

Default Lawn Topdressing

andrew,
Thanks for sharing this info, I am up for doing this soon...
You talked about the time to do it and referred to buffalo.

i.e. "I would have said to wait 'till the end of Winter, say end of July
even, as you will get better/quicker results. Reason being if the lawn
is anything other than Buffalo, it will be pretty much dormant."

Any other info to share wrt top dressing buffalo? My new baffalo lawn is
9 months old and has settled and is need of some fine tuning (level wise).

thanks

-james

Andrew G wrote:
"Jane VR" wrote in message
u...

Mr David R Thomas wrote:

I am after some advice on top dressing my lawns. I live in Newcastle
NSW and
my lawns, whilst they look not too bad, are a little sparse in areas and
probably not as level as they could be. Is anyone able to offer some
advice
as to how best attack this issue? Any information on what to use, when

use it, etc would be appreciated.

Andrew G gave some quite detailed instructions on this ng a couple of
months(?) ago. You could do a Google search for them.

Jane

Thanks Jane.
For the OP a quick reply :-)
If the areas are sparse due to walking areas they may need aerating as they
are probably compacted. Use a garden fork or similar to put holes in those
areas.
As for Top dressing a good mix is sand and chook poo. Roughly 25 or 30%
chook poo, the rest sand, all mixed first then thrown on with a shovel. If
the sparse areas are almost bare putting in runners in those areas from
elsewhere on the lawn will help.
You could use good soil, or potting mix as someone said, but sand is
probably the cheapest and still does a good job with chook poo.
I would have said to wait 'till the end of Winter, say end of July even, as
you will get better/quicker results. Reason being if the lawn is anything
other than Buffalo, it will be pretty much dormant.
Having said that we have got some manure fines in at work for fertilising
Tee tops.We are on the Mid North Coast (Forster) so much the same climate.
First time we will be doing that at this time of the year. So maybe it won't
hurt too much.
Even a pH check wouldn't go astray, and if it's quite out, adjust as needed.
A spread of Gypsum would be and idea if the soil is quite clay.

Good luck

--
Remove "not" from start of email address to reply