Old 29-06-2003, 05:32 PM
Pam Rudd

Default Dwarf Plants

When last we left our heros, on Sun, 29 Jun 2003 07:51:15 -0400,
Pat Meadows scribbled:

generously snipped

I'm starting Yellow Canary seeds next week, also MicroTina -
I got the MicroTina seeds (free) from the group at Utah
State University that is studying super dwarf vegetables and
grains.

http://www.usu.edu/cpl/outreach_seed_request.htm

I'll also be growing a miniature pepper this autumn/winter,
and spicy globe bush basil. Plus a couple of the
mini-tomatoes, and some Tom Thumb lettuce.

I'm always curious about new pepper varieties, are the
pepper seeds they sent you bred to be smaller, or are
they from a variety that is already smallish? I can think of
several that would do well in small pots, Prairie Fire or
Bird's Eye Peppers come to mind, as well as any of the
ornamental types. I grow the Bird's Eye Peppers and
Fish peppers in pots, although I wouldn't call a Fish
pepper a dwarf. I do have one in my front flower
bed because they're awfully pretty.

I'm fortunate enough to have a very large bay window that
gets sun from three directions - the whole affair sticks out
from the house. It's almost like a mini-greenhouse. The
window ledge is 2' x 8' - so I have 16 sf of growing space
all winter.

What will you do about the photo period? I visited a cough
friend up that way last spring, and the days were still so much
shorter than ours down South. He said it's dark by around 4:00
in December.

I'm not really sure how sensitive peppers and tomatoes are to
photo period, but I'm curious as to what results others have
had. Basil, of course, will grow just about anywhere and anytime
and mostly needs to be whipped into submission once in a while
or it will take over.

Pam, oh yeah, that reminds me, I need to pull up more volunteer
Lemon Basil, quick, between the thunder showers...

"ElissaAnn"