Old 29-06-2003, 06:44 PM
DKat

Default OT Harry Potter OT

I just love unintended consequences. The only thing the wackos have
accomplished by labeling Harry Potter to be "evil witch craft" is to make
the book a curiosity for some and brought in more readers that would have
never looked twice at a "children's" book. Given how good the books are and
how much they deal with doing the "right" thing, where the "bad" guys are
hateful bigots (why does Falwell come to mind immediately) it also makes
those who are claiming this to be a bad book to fall in the Harry Potter
"bad guy" category. Ending up making these fools who claim to speak for
Christians about as bad a representative of Christians is you could get.

Zealots are bad for a society and I wish we were free of them all. The best
thing would be if we could just laugh them away... Unfortunately I think
they will always be with us.

DK

"Mary Alice Kropp" wrote in message
et...
Well, of course, that begs the question of where the Bible actually comes
from and why it was written as it was- a debate that is not likely to be
solved, academically or religiously, anytime soon.

Also, most of the fundamentalists have a tendency to ignore the long and
ancient tradition in Judaic and early Christian religious practice that
embraces mysticism and some of what could easily fall under the category

of
"magic."

All that aside, my take on the whole HP thing is that they are just plain
good stories- enjoy 'em as such!

-Mak
http://www.thirtytwopaws.com/mak
Updates 6/22/03

Better to be occasionally cheated than perpetually suspicious.

It's more fun to color outside the lines.