Old 06-03-2003, 11:39 AM
Cathy

Default Elephant Ears

The cut off end faces the sky.

I have been planting these forever in NJ. (The UPS man says the garden
looks like Jurasic Park.) You will have to dig them out after the first
frost if you want to have them year after year. I usually plant in
early May.

Cathy
Little Egg Harbor, NJ

TakeThisOut wrote:
I just picked up 6 Elephant Ears bulbs (tubers?) They're as big as cantelopes.
According to the package, I can plant them indoors now (4-6 weeks before the
outdoor growing season begins) I have 6 huge 10 gallon post and the rich soil
mix ready to go, but 1 problem... I can't tell which way the bulb is "up".
These bulbs are very clean and dirt-free and have no root or old stem remanents
on it.

On each bulb, one end appears to have been cut cleanly with a knife as it's
kind of squared off so the bulb will sit on a flat surface. And all over the
opposite side of the sphere there seem to be round discolorations of varying
diameters, so I figure the squared off end is the root, and the other end is
the stems. Correct?

I Did a google search on these and there have been lots of posts on this board
regarding elephant ears, but not this issue.

TIA

Now - 52 degrees and raining in Long Island NY
Tomorrow - 31 and snow 2-4"

.
.
.