Old 29-06-2003, 07:20 PM
Mike Stevenson

Default Composting

You mentioned sealing the bucket. I just did some serious reading on
composting since I am about to start on it myself. They made it very clear
that ventilation was a must. Do you have holes drilled or cut all the way
around your bucket, providing lots of airflow? If not this is most likely
your problem as the material I read says poor ventilation will cause the
compost to smell terribly, it will not compost properly (uniformly) and it
can attract insects and pests due to the odors. Coffee grinds, eggshells and
the like should be fine, but never put any animal by-products (bones, bad
meat, etc.) in your compost, this is a sure way to attract pests. Beyond
this I cannot say, still new at this myself, but just relaying some of the
tip I've picked up from the reading I've done.

"Paul Below" wrote in message
On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 21:22:18 GMT, "Thomas Neumayr"
wrote:

Mostly yard waste...I was just worried about the eggshells, coffee

grounds
and veggie matter.
Cindi

You might want to research worm composting. If you have a bucket that
you are composting in now, and you have kitchen waste that you don't
want to put out in the yard because of vermin, then worms might be the
answer.