Old 29-06-2003, 07:21 PM
Jim W

Default New Zealand yam

Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
sw wrote:
A friend's description of these (in short, delicious and easy to grow
even in Dunedin (South Island, very wet climate)) has left me wondering
whether they'd be worth trying in Britain. Googling reveals an
alternative name is 'oca', _Oxalis crenata_,[1] and that they originated
in South America.

Has anyone tried growing them here? Are the tubers available?

I am trying them this year, mainly in my polytunnel. I know them
under the name oca, Oxalis tuberosum, but you know what names are.

Incidentally, Dunedin isn't all that wet, but does have a very similar
climate to the south of England. For real wet, try Fjordland :-)

I can't remember where I got them from, but it was posted on this
group some 6-12 months back. They were pricey.

The ones Nick is describing, O. tuberosum are available from from future
foods and other good suppliers. They grow fine in London, not very big
though.

See useful suppliers at:
http://www.geocities.com/j_warham/Horticultural.html

Yes website is terrible... I know I know;-) Update is somewhere in the
pipline.. SOmetime... Maybe... When I get around to it;-)
//