Old 29-06-2003, 07:44 PM
Bob Adkins

Default Tadpoles part 2

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 11:53:31 GMT, "Steve and Lisa"
wrote:

I asked earlier about bullfrog tadpoles getting their legs because mine had
none. Well lastnight I was checking the pond and what did I see but one of
the tadpoles now has 2 back legs! I was so excited, felt like a little kid
with a fantastic surprise gift. How long before he gets more legs? (He seems
to hide more than the ones with no legs).

If it's a bull frog tadpole, you will know it. By the time bullfrog tadpoles
begin growing limbs, they are nearly a handful! They are huge compared to
others, and swim FAST, leaving a muddy wake on the bottom of the pond. They
are also shy than other tadpoles.

In these climes (near LA Gulf coast), bullfrog tadpoles take 2 seasons to
develop. They develop small limbs in late summer, over winter buried in the
mud, and metamorphose completely the next year in late spring or early
summer.

That's all I know about that.

Bob