Old 29-06-2003, 08:32 PM
Lorenzo L. Love

Default Basil flowering

Pat Meadows wrote:
On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 19:43:23 GMT, "Lorenzo L. Love"
wrote:

Pat Meadows wrote:

I used to grow both Tumblers and Red Robins. I quit growing Tumblers
because they were so subject to wilt diseases. The Tumblers were a
little sweeter then the Red Robins and for a lot of people that is the
determining factor. The comment about Sweet 100's makes me think that is
the case for the Red Robin disliker above. For me, the more tomatoey
favor of Red Robins is superior for most uses.

We like the Red Robin taste very well indeed, it tastes like
an 'old-fashioned' tomato.

I'm starting Yellow Canary seeds next week, also MicroTina -
I got the MicroTina seeds (free) from the group at Utah
State University that is studying super dwarf vegetables and
grains.

http://www.usu.edu/cpl/outreach_seed_request.htm

I told them - in the request - that I was a private
individual with an interest in growing miniature vegetables,
and they sent me the seeds.

The Tumbler fruit is a bit smaller then Red Robins.

Thanks, Lorenzo. We seem to share an interest in miniature
vegetables: or is it just tomatoes that interest you?

I'll also be growing a miniature pepper this autumn/winter,
and spicy globe bush basil. Plus a couple of the
mini-tomatoes, and some Tom Thumb lettuce.

I'm fortunate enough to have a very large bay window that
gets sun from three directions - the whole affair sticks out
from the house. It's almost like a mini-greenhouse. The
window ledge is 2' x 8' - so I have 16 sf of growing space
all winter.

Pat

I grow Jingle Bell peppers too. I have limited space for a garden and
the miniature plants in pots can be put on fence posts, street curbs,
sidewalks and so forth to make more room. Plus, I can get produce much
earlier by using miniatures and starting them a couple months earlier
and hauling them outside every moring and back inside every night. With
maybe 50 pots and baskets, that takes a while every day but its worth it
for me. I grow full sized plants too in what garden space I do have.

Lorenzo L. Love
http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

"We recognize, however dimly, that greater efficiency, ease, and
security may come at a substantial price in freedom, that law and order
can be a doublethink version of oppression, that individual liberties
surrendered for whatever good reason are freedom lost."
Walter Cronkite, in the preface to the 1984 edition of 1984