Old 29-06-2003, 08:45 PM
JennyC

Default Looks like we're being listened to

"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote
JennyC writes
The WWW as a whole is well down on the list of reliability, as is
UseNet. (There's very little quality control on either.) Some

bits
are good, others are nonsense, and one has to be able to tell the
difference.

But HOW ??

I don't see that there's a difference in principle between

evaluating
information on the Net and elsewhere, but the Net has a greater
proportion of more outright malicious, fraudulent or dishonest

material
than most other media.

Google evaluating quality information InterNet gives a long list of
pages on how to evaluate information on the net. (Of course, there

is
the question as to how to ascertain which of these are reliable.

:-) )

But there probably better than an attempt by myself to crystallise

the
unformalised processes I practice, and anyway university librarians

are
a more authoritative source on the topic than myself.

See also my "Bulletin Board Bestiary" page (semi-humerous) at

http://www.meden.demon.co.uk/Articles/bestiary.html

for various sources of noise, as opposed to signal, on discussion
groups. Stewart Robert Hinsley

Thanks for the info Stewart, but after looking at a few "how to
evaluate the info" sites, I think I'll go back to relying on my
'shoulder blade intuition' :~))
Jenny

PS Nice site you have ( huge !!!)