Old 29-06-2003, 09:09 PM
mick

Default planting a slope

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Rod wrote:

"mick" wrote in message

I have a bank - done out as a "rookery" of sorts.

The soil is poor and very dry. Its east facing.
What can I grow that will stand the conditions? The plants need to be

low
maintenance, evergreen if possible and growing to about 2/3 ft
All suggestions welcomed with thanks

What would be more use to you than what we can put in short emails would

be to get Beth Chatto's 'Dry Garden' from the
local library, quite a short book with valuable lists, descriptions and

even some planting plans.

Definitely worth looking at. There are lots of suitable plants, from
cistus to Passiflora caerulea (!), so don't regard that book as a
complete list. But it will help.

I should also mention the ground borders the roadside - hence low
maintainence ( I dont want to be knocked down and flattened trying to
"garden" there.

This is simply a neatness exersise.

And there is a border of leylandii - which I didnt plant either, but they
are too out of control to remove without the major effort of a tractor and
chainsaw.