Old 29-06-2003, 09:44 PM
jc

Default Country Gentleman sweet corn

"FarmerDill" wrote in message

Do I care if the corn cross pollinates with another variety if I'm
not
going to save the corn seed for next year? Does it matter if it's a
hybrid or an open pollinator?

Thanks
Gary

Yes and No. With corn you eat the seed, so you are immediately dealing

with the
cross, Most times with standard corns either OP's or Hybrid it doesn;t

matter
too much. In fact I often plant alternate rows of Silver Queen and

Golden Queen
which results in a nice bi-color mix, If I did not like bi-colors that

could be
a problem, The supersweet varieties (SH2) tend be become tough and

chewy when
cross pollinated so extra care must be taken to isolate those from

standard
corns,

In addition to pollination concerns, a problem for me is the birds
sometimes beat me to the corn as the kernels dry out. Putting paper
bags over the ears to keep birds out helps. The tall Country Gentlemen
also has more of a lodging tendency than short-stalk varieties. But is
still one of my favorites. -Olin