Old 29-06-2003, 10:44 PM
Gregory Young

Default salt

If the gills are "fried" PP will certainly push the fish over the edge.
I have seen too many damaged gills, following "routine" PP treatments, even
using less than 4ppm, (which allegedly is not considered a high dose,
allowing for moderate organics) to agree that salt may be as damaging.
I have used 0.6% salt for salt resistant trich, and subsequent gill
biopsies have been normal.
BTW, I responded to your IgM vs IgA post yesterday, and spent some time
writing the rational supporting my comments. It was posted according to
Outlook on my pc, but I don't see it.
I see that I will have to rewrite the whole darn thing later this week when
time allows.
I really am not happy with Microsoft Outlook and newsgroups...
Happy ponding all,
Greg

wrote in message
a couple treatments with PP or formalin is not all that harsh. 0.3% can

be harsh if
the problem with the fish is fried gills. cant even do a salt dip on a

fish with
fried gills. In all cases, following up with pristine water, excellent

aeration and
good food is going to make it possible for the fish to fight off the

infestation.
Ingrid

"Gregory Young" wrote:
Agreed, but they are certainly more stressful on the fish, who are

already
stressed, than using .3% salt for salt sensitive organisms!

That being said, I use PP and formalin when indicated, without issue.

Greg

.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/