Old 29-06-2003, 11:08 PM
stacey

Default How much top off is safe?

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 16:24:12 GMT, Greg Cooper
wrote:

I must admit that I am relatively new to ponding, 3 years exp, so most
everything I know I either heard from someone else or read in a book.
That said....

Reading in "Koi Health and Disease" by Erik Johnson DVM (pg 19) on
Chlorine toxicisity he says:
"Even at LOW levels, (10% of the total volume during a waterchange) a
dechlorinator must be used. The reason is that chronic exposure to
Chlorine can cause irreversible gill hyperplasia, and leave you with
chronically gasping fish"
Cheers.

BenignVanilla wrote:

I want to avoid repeating my mistake of adding too much new water, and
killing my fish. I have dechlor but wonder if it is safe to top off without
it? I don't yet have a device for measuring gallons added, so I am forced to
use a 30 gallon rubbermaid, so you can imagine top offs take forever.

Can I safely add 3-4 inches of water without hurting anything? Should I just
add some dechlor anyway? Can you over dechlor?

--
BenignVanilla
Pond Site: www.darofamily.com/jeff/links/mypond

During a weekly clean of my 2000 gallon (UK) pond, I probably empty my
vortex twice. I just top up with a hosepipe set to vigorous spray, and
have never had any trouble. The koi actually come up and play in the
flow!