Old 06-03-2003, 01:40 PM
Luis Fontanills

Default [IBC] Trident Maples in South Florida

Hello my bonsai friends,

I just received 5 Trident Maple seedlings (10 months old) that I plan to grow
in the ground in South Florida. Issue 23, 1993 - 1 of 'Bonsai Today', pgs. 13
- 20 has a fantastic article on how to develop them with massive trunks,
taper and radial roots in about 7 years (pre-bonsai). I figure that with luck
in South Florida with our longer growing season it can be done faster.
BTW: This is one of the back issues that my thoughtful wife got me for my
birthday.

Now my question. I assume that with our intense heat and sun in summer that
these field grown trees should be put in dappled sun (not full sun)? This
species is new to me; any and all suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Luis Fontanills
Miami, Florida USA

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++