Old 30-06-2003, 06:45 AM
Terry Horton

Default Silverado Sage (Cenizo)

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 15:48:42 GMT, c (Scott
Harper) wrote:

I have some cenizo (Texas sage, Leucophyllum Frutescens) that is
supposedly of the variety "Silverado Sage" (aka "Bertstar Dwarf"). It
is a beautiful plant, but my understanding is that it is supposed to be
a "dwarf", maturing at 4'.

(see
http://www.greenbeam.com/features/plant012698.html)

However, mine are well over 5' and showing no signs of slowing down.
"Normal" varieties are generally 6'-8' at maturity, but that's a little
too big for where I have these planted.

Does anyone else have experience with Silverado Sage? Did it slow down
at 4'? Do I unknowingly have a different variety?

Do you water them? Or have them in any shade? Dry and sunny
conditions yield more compact cenizos. If yours outgrow you you
might have better luck with a species that's smaller in the wild than
_L. frutescens_, such as _L. zygophyllum_ (sometimes found under the
trade name "Cimarron").