Old 30-06-2003, 08:08 AM
jc

Default Does five gallon container contain five gallons?

"Glenna Rose" wrote in message
news:fc.003d0941019d4dbe3b9aca00139809de.19d4dc3@p mug.org...
writes:
On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 20:37:46 GMT, "jc" wrote:

Back before plastic containers, one gallon plants were sold in metal

No.
10 cans which contained only 96 fluid ounces (3/4 gallon). When

plastic
containers came into common use in about the mid 1960s, the pots

were
tapered but the height and circumference at the top were the same as

No. 10 can and the plants were the same size but the container

volume
evn less than a No. 10 can but still occupied the same space in

shipping
containers and continued to be called one gallon plants. I think it

is
just common usage and the nursery industry would get confused if you
called it a 0.75 gallon can. Has anybody ever complained about the
liquid volume of a 10 gallon hat?

^_^ Perhaps plant containers are like lumber -- a 2x4 is what?
1.something" by 3.something"? As long as everyone agrees on the
*definition*, as opposed to the actual dimensions, the gazebo gets
built. However, pot sizing may be less familiar than wood
"measurements."

Actually, 2x4 lumber used to be 2x4 which can cause problems when
remodeling a turn-of-the-century (19th to 20th) or older.
Now I'm wondering about that 10-gallon hat! LOL
Glenna

Rough-cut 2X4s are still 2"X4". Used to be a planed 2X4 was 1 5/8" by 3
5/8" which was arrived at by planing 3/16" off each surface of a
rough-cut 2X4. For a long time now, planed 2X4s have been still
smaller - 1.5 X 3.5 inches. So to be technically correct, I suppose
the term for 2X4s as we know them should be "planed" 2X4s. As to the 10
gallon hat, I believe it has to do with the number of braids, or the
number of strands in the braid, around the crown of the hat and not to
its liquid capacity. -Olin