Old 30-06-2003, 11:32 AM
Frogleg

Default First time herb garden

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 00:41:33 -0500, "loki"
wrote:

"CVGam" wrote

How do you pick herbs like parsley or basil so they keep growing or do

you get
only one growth?

They are annuals. With parsley, I just cut what I need as I need it and
never bother to "harvest" the whole plant till fall.

With basil, you have to pinch back the flowers or it goes to seed and dies.
Again, I just pick the amount I need and let the plant go and pinch back a
couple of time a week.

Let me be the first among many to say that basil is an annual; parsley
is biennial -- it flowers and goes to seed the 2nd year.

For how to pick basil, see the thread on "harvesting basil" that's
been going on here for the past 10 days or more.

For parsley, just as Loki says, pick what you need. Although I've
never heard of "harvesting" the plant in fall. In moderate climates,
it will survive and be a source of fresh green leaves in winter,
although it won't grow much.