Old 30-06-2003, 11:32 AM
Dwight Sipler

Default What to do with a skunk in a live trap?

Gary The Rookie Farmer wrote:

I suppose the use of the Hav-a-hart trap is so that you can release
the critter alive. I would assmue that you let them go in some country
or wooded setting. Do you realize that you are just tranferring the
problem to some one else? What would you think if someone from the
country released one near your house in the city? In other words; I
live in the country and I don't want anymore damned raccons, skunks or
tree rats (squirrels) around here.

The Hav-a-hart trap is useful for trapping because if you catch a
non-targeted species (e.g. a neighbor's cat) it is easily released with
no harm done. The targeted species can be dispatched as required. A trap
that immediately kills an animal is a hazard to the other animals that
wander around your areas, domesticated or not.

PS: skunks are not harmful animals unless you happen to have an
agressive dog. They will make holes in your lawn looking for grubs, but
removing grubs will help your lawn and the holes will fill in if the
grass is healthy. If they see you coming they will waddle away without
spraying unless you go after them or they are trapped.

I have caught several skunks in Hav-a-hart traps. All I do is walk up to
the trap and unlatch it, then open the door a bit and put a rock under
it so the skunk can see that it's open. The skunk doesn't have room in
the trap to get into spraying position, so it's unlikely you will be
sprayed. If you worry about it, cover the trap with a tarp while you are
opening the door.

If you (or your dog) get sprayed, http://www.animalforum.com/gskunk.htm
has a note about what to do. The old tomato juice remedy is there, but
there are several others including baking soda/hydrogen peroxide/soap.