Old 30-06-2003, 01:20 PM
Lynn F. Russell

Default Mulch: can someone tell me...

They seem to do it here, too, in Virginia. I had read somewhere a long time ago...(or maybe I saw it on The Victory Garden) that the "flare" of the tree trunk should not be covered as it stresses the tree.

"Jean B." wrote in message ...
Why the yard workers just spent all day burying the bases of trees
and their roots in a foot of mulch (which I now have to dig off of
them)?

And while you are at it, could someone tell me why they had to
blow out the pine needles (which I always say I want left alone)
and put mulch under the pine trees instead?

These are mostly rhetorical questions. I just need to vent among
people who do know that trees do not want to have their roots
buried, nor do they want mulch going a foot up their trunks....

--
Jean B., 12 miles west of Boston, Massachusetts, USA