Old 30-06-2003, 01:34 PM
Pam Morris

Default Non-greenfingered type planning to massacre garden!

Your soil seems to be just like mine - I'm in Kent. I'm going down the
route of gravelling over the worst bits (which is roughly 75% of the whole
garden!) and using containers. That way there is no problem re acid/akaline
soil 'cos you just fill the planters with the appropriate stuff for whatever
you want to plant.

Downside of course is that containers dry out quicker so you will need to
water more often.

Pam.

"More to Wiggle" wrote in message

"JennyC" wrote in message
It would also be helpful if you tell us whereabouts your garden is :~)

HTH Jenny

I live on the Isle of Wight. Real variety of soil in a small county! Also
a certain Mr Titchmarsh has a flat not far from me but I don't think he'd
appreciate me hammering on his door asking for advice. I suppose I'd
describe my soil as a layer of clay above a layer of chalk which is about 2
feet down. It's full of sandstone too and I don't know if this is natural
or put there in amongst manky topsoil by the builders who built my house
about 8 years ago. Large lumps of that form a rockery in my front garden
after my DH rotovated it prior to laying the lawn. I have had prior success
with a small veggie patch where I grew shallots, mange tout and courgettes
well but many got eaten by those below.

I should also add that I have major probs with woodlice - millions and
millions of them - as well as a plague of earwigs this year. The laurel
hedge seems to be occupied by wasps, the sycamore generates a plague of
greenfly and we have slugs and snails up to our ears.

Oh and what can you do about ground elder?

BTW does anyone want to swap gardens???? ;-)

Vicky