Old 06-03-2003, 02:03 PM
Lee Brouillet

Default Aquascape and similar ponder owners

Jan, my pond is "based" on the AS system, i.e., I use the skimmer and the
biofalls. I want a koi pond, not a watergarden, so I made serious
alterations to my design (deep, no plant shelves, steep sides, NO ROCKS! -
except in the waterfall/stream area before it dumps into the actual pond). I
still had to enhance the system with a "bead" filter and a UV to achieve my
goal.

Now, there's nothing wrong with the AS system as a watergarden *as long as
your goal is a plant habitat and not a fish habitat*. One or two fish
(preferably same sex, o'wise you'll soon be overpopulated) can survive.
However, even the AS maintenance guidelines (in addition to a lot of weekly
additives), suggest draining the pond and powerwashing the gravel at least
once a year. That's a lot of work, and more than most people want to do
(unless they have the pond under a maintenance contract). It's a good
business for the installer, though. The rocks make it look nice, but are a
lot of work. The only way to keep the algae under control to see them,
however, is to either a) keep the pond in total shade (then the plants don't
grow well), or b) chlorinate the pond to keep the algae in abeyance (which
means no fish).

Just my opinion, however. This from hot, heavy sun country: it may be
different elsewhere.

Lee

"~ jan" wrote in message
s.com...
I have another MG (Master Gardener) who is thinking of doing an Aquascape
system. He is just doing a water gardening type pond, not a koi pond. I
told him there is nothing wrong with the Aquascape System for that

purpose,
just don't rock the liner. Course the local nursery is spreading the bull
that we who don't rock our liners are going to have them degrade all that
much faster, etc. crap. I told him he can always rock it later if need be
and to remember that the local nursery makes most its money off the sales
of rock & bark. The plants & yard art are just a side line in comparison.

So the guise of my request here, is to hear aye or nay regarding this type
of system by those who have put them in and pass those comments on to him.
Thanks, ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~