Old 30-06-2003, 02:56 PM
BenignVanilla

Default How much top off is safe?

"Charles" wrote in message
On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 15:28:19 -0400, "BenignVanilla"
m wrote:

I want to avoid repeating my mistake of adding too much new water, and
killing my fish. I have dechlor but wonder if it is safe to top off

without
it? I don't yet have a device for measuring gallons added, so I am forced

use a 30 gallon rubbermaid, so you can imagine top offs take forever.

Can I safely add 3-4 inches of water without hurting anything? Should I

just
add some dechlor anyway? Can you over dechlor?

How deep is the pond, and how many inches of water are you replacing?
That should be a good enough guide as to how much dechlor to use.

snip

I was purposely vague for this very reason. *laugh* My pond is 10' at it's
widest and 13' at it's longest. The depth ranges from 10'' to 42''. So the
top 5 inches holds a lot more water then the bottom 5 inches.

BV.