Old 30-06-2003, 03:32 PM
Sam Hopkins

Default Turtle Questions

Man I got turtles in my pond and I cant get rid of them. =)

Maybe I can shed some light on things. I own a large rec pond and the
turtles can always be seen swimming and looking at me from the opposite side
of the pond - a few hundred feet away.

Turtles seem to move from ponds they feel threatened in and ones where they
can't get as far away from danger (us) as they feel safe. So unless a turtle
can get a few hundred feet away from you they most likely wont stay.

Sam

"10Sguy" wrote in message
I'm in the design stage for my first pond. I intend to have a few fish,

the
usual array of plants and whatever else shows up. I'd also like to have a
resident turtle.

If I find a local turtle and bring it to my pond, is it likely to stay
around?

Would it be more ethical to purchase a turtle from a pet store?
Occasionally I see them along the roads where I ride bike. I'm sure some

of
those that wonder onto the road meet an untimely demise.

As I understand it I'd need to provide an area where it can get easily get
out of the water. Are there any other special considerations for turtles?

Thanks.