Old 30-06-2003, 03:56 PM
Tyra Trevellyn

Default Black Swallowtail Butterflys?

From: DigitalVinyl
Date: Mon, Jun 30, 2003 10:40 AM
The other day I spotted a mostly black butterfly in the garden. I was
surprised to find it very attracted to some of my parsley. After some
research I ID'd as a female Black Swallowtail. SHe was laying eggs,
which I can spot in between the curly leaves.

Now I have more parsley growing than I can use So i would have no
problem letting the ones on this plant grow--but am I inviting a
voracious catepillar into the garden by doing this? I'm sure they
would probably eat far more than that one bush of parsley.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener

The caterpillars will eat some parsley and you'll be blessed with these
gorgeous pollinators. Buy more parsley. (I grow dill for them and never lose
much.)

Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa z7