Old 30-06-2003, 04:08 PM
Theo Asir

Default Dying Canes and Fungicide

Cass your pictures triggered of
a memory in my head. I saw the same
damage on some grape vines
my sister grows. She told me
was a Mildew. Apparently mildew can
affect canes too.

So I went looking and this is apparently
not very well known but Downy Mildew apparently
causes these blotches on rose canes.
I couldn't even find a good picture but
try this one.

http://www.cruzio.com/~rbedard/devor...wnymildew.html

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

"Unique Too" wrote in message
Cass writes:

I don't think it is Banner Maxx. I almost never spray fungicide and
have never used Banner Maxx. I first saw this stuff last year on
Lavender Lassie. Dormant spraying has had no effect, nor have I seen
any decrease since spraying for Fore and with Decree. I suspect that
I'm going to lose the whole plant, which will be a shame. I just sense
that it's headed for collapse. I thought is might be an effect of
spraying myself because it seems to appear down one side of the cane in
some cases. But then I saw spots on roses that have never been sprayed
at all. I also thought it might be sun burn, but then I found where the
sun don't shine. However, there are many different kinds of
spots....here's what I find on my rose, which could be a different
gunk:
http://home.earthlink.net/~cbernstei...assieWorst.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~cbernstei...assieSpots.jpg

Kind of hard to tell by the photos. I don't see the distinct purple spots

and
yellow cane that I see on mine. But it may be my monitor not showing the

true
colors.
I'm pretty certain it isn't sunburn, most of the affected canes are too

low to
the ground to get direct sun.
I've used a variety of fungicides, but the only new one is the Banner

Maxx. In
looking for a cause that was the one thing I could see that I had done
differently.
A nutrient dificiency is another thought. But it's happening in different
areas in different soil types. Both the good soil and sandy spots have

the
same problems. I haven't changed my fertilizing habits, it's varied, lots

of
different kinds, mostly organic, but also some cheap bagged stuff.

I bought some Zyban (Cleary's 3336 combined with Fore) because of
Cleary's supposed systemic effect. That's the only thing I can think to
do. I guess I could also try Phyton 27 for the same reason....

That's two I haven't tried. I did use a copper one this year for the

first
time. An "expert" told me that would help if it were a canker. I

couldn't see
any difference, I still continued to loose canes.

Can you post pictures? I can come up with all kinds of conspiracy
theories if I work myself up, but I think that even in my own garden, I
have more than one think at work. For example, I think a canker is at
work also, and since it causes cane symptoms, it's easy to confuse the
two. I guess I'm going to have to get a lab test.

I need to take some photos, but I haven't yet. If the weather cooperates

this
weekend, I'll put that on my to do list.
Lots of strange things happening with the roses lately. Is someone trying

tell me they should go away? Or make me give up? Ain't gonna happen.
Where do you get a lab test? At this rate it would be worth it to save

the
roses or at least know what is going on. I'm not good with things I don't
understand or can't figure out.

Julie