Old 30-06-2003, 05:32 PM
simy1

Default Killing grass under my apple trees

WCD wrote in message ...
I have a number of apple trees with grass growing under them right up to
the trunk. I want to get rid of the grass and mulch under the trees out
to the drip line.

What is a good way to do this? I'm tempted to use an herbicide (like
Roundup) but I'm not sure what that would do to the tree. I have enough
trees that I don't relish the idea of digging around under each one of
them and possibly messing up the roots. I think if I put mulch down on
top of the grass, the grass would just grow right through the mulch.

Any suggestions?

I have a row of pear trees and similar problems. I have now taken out
the grass on a row along the trees, with a rounder area at the tree.
It is a lot easier to mow. I have also pruned last year so that no
branches are at eye level (if you are sitting on a mower). I have
large trees so it is easy. Here are the two ways I have taken out the
grass (both work):

1) take out the sod (easy with my sandy soil), put a potato in the
trench (optional), backfill with manure, cover with wood chips (one
foot). The potato plants are large, and I know from past experience
that if I keep covering with grass clippings (from the lanes between
trees) the grass will not be coming back.

2) lay down cardboard, cover with wood chips.