Old 30-06-2003, 06:20 PM
Alternate Personality

Default scorpion control?

I don't think I've ever seen one (scorpion) during the winter, either inside
or outside. I mostly see them during the June - August timeframe. I think
they may become inactive during cool/cold weather.

Here's what seems to be a pretty comprehensive overview of scorpions, their
habits, and recommendations for control:

http://insects.tamu.edu/extension/bulletins/l-1678.html

This article states in part:

"It is common for them to climb trees and walls, and many times have been
found in the attics of homes. During periods of hot weather, scorpions may
move into living areas to escape the high temperatures in attics."

It also says that "Stings from most of these species are about as painful as
a bee or wasp sting." My own experience (and I've been stung by scorpions at
least a half-dozen times over the 14 years they've been a part of my life in
one way or another) is that they hurt much less than a wasp sting (I've been
stung by a wasp twice during the same period). I don't recall a scorpion
sting hurting for more than about an hour, whereas a wasp sting hurts for
about 12 hours and stays puffy for about a day. Being stung by our local
scorpions is not something I'd recommend, but in my experience, there is an
initial sharp pain that quickly becomes more annoying than painful,
especially if you put ice on it asap.

I also think that the bigger the scorpion, the more painful the sting - this
has been my experience, anyway. I would also think that the smaller the
person, the more they might react, so a child might have more of a reaction
than an adult. A child would certainly be frightened and hurt enough by a
scorpion sting to cry. Apply ice right away and/or try the baking soda +
water home remedy. But you should also watch for signs of a more severe
(allergic) reaction and if these appear, get to a doctor right away.

btw, I have seen only two scorpions in my home so far this summer. Before I
had everything sealed up (weep holes w/ copper wool; many, many tubes of
caulk to seal the exterior; new, very tight weather stripping; etc.), I used
to see them - sometimes several of them - inside my house daily. I know they
are still around because I see them outside pretty regularly, particularly
under rocks and around my brush pile. But they aren't nearly as able to get
into my house now. I still don't go barefoot, however, and I check my bath
towel before using it, "just in case."

I love where I live - on 2.5 acres, mostly natural, west of 360 - and I have
come to believe very strongly that dealing humanely with critters like
scorpions and wasps is a good thing. I've got birds and lizards galore,
toads and frogs, possums and raccoons, and tarantulas and other big spiders.
I hate seeing Chem Lawn and the pest control companies out here (or
anywhere, for that matter).

alternate

"John T. Jarrett" wrote in message
Is there any time or situation that seems to drive them in?

Ants come in during droughts, deluges and freezes, for instance.

John

"amjordan" wrote in message

Ruth Shear wrote in message
news
G'day

I'm generally of the school of live and let live, but when I rolled my
19 month old over on the bed yesterday and saw a tiny (1/2 inch)
scorpion scuttle out of a fold of the bedsheet, I found my limit!

My first inclination was to call a pest control company (well chemfree
who I've heard are a bit more careful about what they spray around),

but
does any one have any other suggestions that are less extreme?

DrRuth

Just wanted to add a tiny bit of advice that my mom gave me on a daily

basis
for years (since I didn't see it mentioned here). I grew up in an old

house
that had scorpion tenants (but absolutely no roaches) and the one thing

my
mom was always saying was, "Shake out your shoes before you put them

on!"
Just a small change in behavior, but it saved me several scorpion stings

year.

Good luck with your war!

jordan