Old 30-06-2003, 09:08 PM
Beecrofter

Default Black Swallowtail Butterflys?

DigitalVinyl wrote in message . ..
The other day I spotted a mostly black butterfly in the garden. I was
surprised to find it very attracted to some of my parsley. After some
research I ID'd as a female Black Swallowtail. SHe was laying eggs,
which I can spot in between the curly leaves.

Now I have more parsley growing than I can use So i would have no
problem letting the ones on this plant grow--but am I inviting a
voracious catepillar into the garden by doing this? I'm sure they
would probably eat far more than that one bush of parsley.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener

Welcome to your first real butterfly garden.
Unlike the folks who feed the adults and spray the larvae in the same
garden.
Plant more parsley, some carrot, some parsnip just for the
caterpillars in a seperate area and you can move the caterpillars to
them from your herb beds.
Tom