Old 30-06-2003, 10:20 PM
animaux

Default earth-friendly algae killer?

I agree, but it is never used in fish tanks.

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 18:53:03 GMT, "Cereoid-UR12yo" wrote:

Cow's milk? Don't do it. Do you want the rancid smell of sour milk
throughout your garden?

Use dilute chlorine bleach. It is the cheapest and most efficient thing you
can use. Its what's used for swimming pools and fish tanks.

Mike Stevenson wrote in message
t...
I have read that ordinary cow's milk, diluted into the water supply, has
anti-fungal and anti-algae properties. If you have some way of introducing
this into your tubing it could help retard the growth of future algae
build-up. As far as to kill your current batch, have you considered the
algae killing solutions used in fish tanks? They should be fairly safe,
since they are designed to work with the fish still in the tank. Fish are
rather sensitive to chemicals so if its safe for them It should be safe to
assume its ok for grass, bugs, birds, etc. Still you would probubly need
quite a bit of it.

"Dave Gower" wrote in message
I have several hundred feet of plastic tubing which I use to water

various
plants, shrubs and trees on my property. It has a hose attachment and

works
well to deliver a slow stream of warmed water (I am on a well, and here

in
Ontario well water is cold all summer).

It works better than a garden hose since it naturally has a low flow

rate
and therefore is easier to get a dependable rate of water delivery. It

is
also easier to handle and store than several hundred feet of garden

hose.
The problem with it is algae build-up. Since it is semi-transparent,

algae
grows on the inside and constantly gives me plugging problems.

I guess the answer is periodic flushing with an algaecide, so my

question,
what can I use that will not be toxic to the soil (I am on septic, not

city
sewer). I've never had a swimming pool, so how about the pool algae

killers?
Any home remedies?