Old 30-06-2003, 11:44 PM
Jack1000

Default Did compost kill my potatoes?

I hilled up several potato plants with not mature
compost , still in very rough form. -- basically leaves and
clippings clomped together.

The plants began to die back, and didn't produce a lot of (red)
potatoes.

Did I do wrong by using that material to hill up?

I had a similar problem I haven't lost my plants yet.
What happened to me was this; I used compost from my pile and I noticed the
leaves looked like they were wilting. On closer inspection I found that baby
slugs (tiny little snotty things) that were hiding my pile were now having
lunch out on the potato verandah. I got out the old spray bottle and gave them
an ammonia cool aid desert.

I HATE SLUGS!

Jack