Old 01-07-2003, 12:08 AM
loki

Default First time herb garden

"Frogleg" wrote

Let me be the first among many to say that basil is an annual; parsley
is biennial -- it flowers and goes to seed the 2nd year.

True, but I didn't want to get that into it. I've had parsley that was in
it's
second year, but I dont like it as well so I just grow it as an annual.

For how to pick basil, see the thread on "harvesting basil" that's
been going on here for the past 10 days or more.

For parsley, just as Loki says, pick what you need. Although I've
never heard of "harvesting" the plant in fall. In moderate climates,
it will survive and be a source of fresh green leaves in winter,
although it won't grow much.

Well, that's pretty much what I mean. I just cut the plant back before
it gets seriously nasty in late Nov or early Dec. I call it harvesting
because I don't leave it in the ground for the second year.

Loki