Old 01-07-2003, 12:56 AM

Default Turtle Questions

In , on 06/30/03
at 01:20 AM, "10Sguy" said:

Would it be more ethical to purchase a turtle from a pet store?
Occasionally I see them along the roads where I ride bike. I'm sure some
of those that wonder onto the road meet an untimely demise.

A pet store turtle may not be a native species, and may carry diseases
that could affect native turtles. Catching a turtle on the road will get
you a native species, but probably not a water turtle that will live in a
pond. You're probably seeing box turtles along the road.

Try calling or emailing a local reptile rescue group. They can provide
you with a rehabbed native water turtle, and, if it decides not to stay
(which happens), it won't negatively impact the local turtle population.

Alan

**** Please use address ) to reply via e-mail. ****

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564