Old 01-07-2003, 02:56 AM
Gregory Young

Default salt

See part 2
Greg

wrote in message
Snip..
" Detection of specific antibodies in the serum of animals is recognized

as a useful
indicator of previous exposure to pathogens.
* ADL produces probes (AquaMab-F) to enable the detection of IgM by

ELISA in a
range of fish species used in aquaculture. This is extremely useful for

broodstock
health testing. It also provides tools for monitoring the immune response

in fish
following vaccination and therefore will assist in the development of

vaccines in the
future as the more fish species are cultured and new diseases emerge."

This is a serum test. Immunology in our aquatic friends is not very
different, than in their "more evolved" mammalian counterparts, as I am sure
you are aware.

http://www.aquaticdiagnostics.com/detection2.htm
"Although infection with Ichthyophthirius multifiliis is often lethal,

some fish
recover and develop resistance to subsequent infection. Under laboratory

conditions
fish can be routinely immunized by exposure to controlled numbers of

parasites.

Interesting.. a controlled number of parasites.. it would be nice, out of
the lab, if we could control the number of parasites.

The existence of acquired immunity against Ich provides the opportunity

for the
development of protective vaccines. In addition, studies of the protective

immune
response against Ich provide a useful model for the elucidation of the

mechanisms by
which fish respond to pathogens which infect through epithelial surfaces.

Agreed, just as nasal live attenuated vaccines have now come into vogue to
induce protective SERUM immunoglobulins against influenza. Notice I say
serum. The secreted IgA in the human "slime coat" (known as nasal
secretions) has been shown to be of no protective value. Protection is
offered only by serum immunoglobulins. Sound
familiar?

Serum and mucus antibodies from immune fish immobilize

free-swimming theronts
in vitro , suggesting several potential antibody-mediated mechanisms of

protection.
For instance, antibodies in mucus could block penetration of theronts into

the
epithelium of the skin and gills.

In vitro (in the lab), suggesting (theory), could (hypothesis, not yet
proven). That's my point. Almost 30 years later, after my marine training,
and there still is no proof of immunological protection from the slime coat,
which is what I stated.

Because immobilization can be readily observed in
the laboratory and fits a number of different models of potential

mechanisms of
immunity, considerable effort in this laboratory has been dedicated to

identifying
the target antigens responsible for this phenomenon, with the ultimate

goal of
developing a subunit vaccine."

I hope they do. Without a vaccine, KHV, SVC, etc will be major killers.

IgM is the most primitive type of antibody. But fish also have been found

to produce
anti-micriobial proteins,

As have their mammailian counterparts.

Snip

Will respond to last part in next message.
Greg

"Gregory Young" wrote:
although I don't think any of us should be encouraging folks
without some training to use an oxidant like PP, I would hope!!
I just treated an individual in the ED 2 weeks ago
Although the slime coat has been shown to have IgA antibodies in it,
I can not tell you the number of burned gills I have seen on necropsy by

the
use of PP in ponds, based on "calculated volumes" of the ponds.

because there
are still NO data (and read this answer fully please) that prove ROUTINE
salt use has ANY proven benefit in ornamental fish (Koi and Goldfish)

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.