Old 01-07-2003, 04:56 AM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

Default [IBC] Green Island Ficus

Speaking of Green Island Ficus, I've got one where the first main branch is
proportionally too large for the rest of the tree. So, I decided to try for
the Banyan look rather than start over. The large branch has two small
branches that start underneath and I'm hoping to train these down, ground
layer them, and then once they root - chop off the rest of the branch...thus
turning them into air roots. First - is this a viable strategy? Second -
any way to encourage rapid growth of those branches? I have avoided pruning
them when I did the rest of the tree, but it doesn't seem to have made much
difference.

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++